Coding professionals have fielded curve ball after curve ball in 2020 as the COVID-19 pandemic saw several unprecedented coding changes to the ICD-10-PCS, ICD-10-CM, HCPCS, and CPT code sets. In addition to all of the new codes, coding professionals also had to navigate sudden transitions to remote work and furloughs linked to the pandemic.
Despite the uncertainty in the industry and the job market, no one in healthcare can deny that coding professionals play a major role in curbing COVID-19. Timely and accurate coded data is the key to managing and ending the pandemic, as Julie Rockey, MBA, RHIA, vice president, real world data operations at Ciox, told the Journal of AHIMA in May.
“In my mind, we should be—and are—in the spotlight. Without the data that HIM and coders are collecting and liberating there would be no research from which to conduct—it’s that work that will lead to research to create a vaccine or a pill or insights the scientific community discovers that will lead to a state of new normalcy.”
AHIMA20’s Clinical Coding track will give coders everything they need to stay on top of 2021 code updates as well as improve their skills.
In the face of unprecedented challenges, AHIMA20 aims to equip health information professionals with the necessary resources to adapt to new realities, modernize standards and regulations, and empower them to provide evidence-based expertise to professionals in every domain of the healthcare ecosystem.
Clinical Coding Education at AHIMA20
- PDPM and CDI: The SNF Dynamic Duo: Presenters at this session will walk through the steps and necessary items that form the fledgling clinical documentation integrity programs being developed and implemented in SNFs across the country.
- Adapting to the AI/CAC Coding Landscape for Physician Coders: Presenters at this session will discuss strengths of physician-based coders and key coding concepts that are currently and frequently missed by physician-based coders in the audit landscape.
- An ICD-11 Workshop: Presenters at this session will provide an overview of ICD-11 structure and content, highlighting new classification concepts and methods.
For more clinical coding offerings, click here and check the Clinical Coding filter on the left-hand side of the page to aggregate our educational offerings on this topic.
“In the face of unprecedented challenges, AHIMA20 aims to equip health information professionals with the necessary resources to adapt to new realities, modernize standards and regulations, and empower them to provide evidence-based expertise to professionals in every domain of the healthcare ecosystem.”
Dive Deeper: AHIMA Resources on Clinical Coding
Get a head start on your AHIMA20 clinical coding experience by accessing webinars, Journal of AHIMA content, and other valuable content on this topic. We’ve curated a selection of resources to take a deeper dive. Click the links below to learn more.
- Journal of AHIMA article: “Integrating COVID-19 into CDI and Coding Practice.” Read here.
- From AHIMA Press: Medical Coding in the Real World. Order here.
- AHIMA HI Pitch podcast: COVID-19 Series—Part 1: Pro Fee Coding and Off-Shore Partners. Listen here.
- AHIMA webinar: Inpatient COVID-19 Coding and CDI Training: Cross-train your outpatient coder. Listen here.
Register for AHIMA20
The AHIMA20 Virtual Conference is the premier educational, exhibition, and networking event for health information professionals. Whether you are seeking cutting-edge education, evaluating the latest market innovations, or are seeking new professional connections, the AHIMA20 Virtual Conference is the place to be. Register today.
Hear from past attendees why they attend the AHIMA conference every year.