Every patient deserves to have their health information tell a complete and accurate story at every step in their care journey.
As the leading advocate for the adoption of a nationwide patient identification strategy, AHIMA recognizes that eliminating patient identification and matching (PIM) errors is essential to better safety and care outcomes.
The skills and expertise of health information professionals are essential for building a safer and more effective PIM process. As the healthcare industry advocates for universal PIM standards, patients, care teams, and payers will depend on the health information professionals to create a seamless connection between accurate health information and the right patient.
In the face of unprecedented challenges, AHIMA20 aims to equip health information professionals with the necessary resources to adapt to new realities, modernize standards and regulations, and empower them to provide evidence-based expertise to professionals in every domain of the healthcare ecosystem.
Patient Identification and Matching Education at AHIMA20
- The Intersection of Patient Identity and Health Information Exchange: This session provides an overview of patient matching challenges, activities underway to address patient matching by the federal government, and the importance of patient matching in the health information exchange environment.
- Patient Identification and MPI Management: This session will discuss the role of HIM in correctly mapping EHRs and working to proactively maintain a clean and accurate system with a low duplicate error rate.
- Addressing Challenges of Patient Record Matching: Presenters will review the historical and ongoing role of patient record matching for patient safety and share a case study of Northwell Health’s approach to patient matching challenges.
For more patient identification and matching offerings, click here and check the Patient Identification & Matching filter on the left-hand side of the page to aggregate our educational offerings on this topic.
“Every patient deserves to have their health information tell a complete and accurate story at every step in their care journey.”
Dive Deeper: AHIMA Resources on Patient Identification and Matching
Get a head start on your AHIMA20 PIM experience by accessing webinars, Journal of AHIMA content, and other valuable content on this topic. We’ve curated a selection of resources to take a deeper dive. Click the links below to learn more.
- The Journal of AHIMA has created a home for its PIM content with a landing page. Learn more.
- AHIMA subject matter experts recently published a white paper urging providers to achieve a 1 percent duplicate error rate. Download it here.
- AHIMA’S Public Policy and Government Affairs office has released a policy statement about PIM. Learn more.
- AHIMA and its partners from Patient ID Now produced an on-demand webinar, “Patient Matching: An Essential Tool in the Era of COVID-19.” Access it here.
Register for AHIMA20
The AHIMA20 Virtual Conference is the premier educational, exhibition, and networking event for health information professionals. Whether you are seeking cutting-edge education, evaluating the latest market innovations, or are seeking new professional connections, the AHIMA20 Virtual Conference is the place to be. Register today.
Hear from past attendees why they attend the AHIMA conference every year.